DWP Jobcentre Plus will once again be launching their annual month long Hospitality Works campaign on the 7th February. This year in Scotland they will be working in conjunction with the British Hospitality Association, Springboard and Skills Development Scotland to bring together employers throughout the sector to increase awareness of the sector as a great place to work, increase the number of people moving into hospitality jobs and raise aspirations within the sector.
The hospitality and tourism industry is a lynchpin of the UK economy. It is the fourth largest industry, employing 4.6 million people. Hospitality alone accounted for one in six of all new jobs created in the UK between 2010 and 2014.
In Scotland, Tourism is an important underpinning sector for the Scottish economy. The sector makes a major contribution to employment levels across a wide range of occupations, age groups and skills sets with over 217,000 jobs supported by 14,090 tourism related businesses in Scotland which is 8.5% of Scottish employment. Jobs in tourism are particularly important in non-urban communities where often as many as 15% of the population work in the sector.
With unemployment at historically low levels, there has never been a more important time for the industry to make recruitment and development of British workers a priority. Employers can support this campaign by:
• Attending a local Jobcentre Plus hospitality awareness session for jobseekers
• Holding a recruitment event at your local Jobcentre Plus
• Delivering a telephone masterclass to Jobcentre Work Coaches and Employer Engagement staff to offer an insight of the industry
• Hosting a taster visit for jobseekers and Work Coaches at your business
• Attending a careers fair which will be happening locally in the Hospitality Works month
• Pledging to offer work experience, apprenticeships or employment throughout the campaign
• Joining the conversation on social media by sharing, re-tweeting or developing your own content and using the hashtag #JobsWithASmile
If you would like more information or would like to discuss further then contact Kyle Murray on 0141-636-832e or e-mail at email@example.com