Established in 2012 The Scottish Tourism Alliance (STA) is the overarching industry leadership group for tourism and the leading voice for the tourism sector in Scotland.
It is an independent not-for-profit, private sector organisation trade body comprising of circa 275 trade associations, businesses, destination groups and other organisations with an interest in tourism. Having more than 70% of tourism businesses directly or indirectly under its umbrella of membership, the STA voice is one that is held in high regard by Scottish Government and other bodies.
The STA is also a member of the UK Tourism Industry Council representing the views of the Scottish tourism industry to the UK Government.
Tourism is acknowledged by the Scottish Government as being "Scotland’s most important industry”. The organisation’s job is to ‘lead on industry matters’ and play a pivotal role in enabling the tourism sector to grow by:
- Influencing key stakeholders to create the right conditions for growth and profitability
- Raising the profile of Scottish Tourism by highlighting the impact of the industry
· Leading and engaging a united Scottish Tourism Alliance in the delivery of an ambitious shared tourism strategy for growth, Tourism Scotland 2020.
Now seeking to strengthen our current board, we invite applications from interested parties. We are specifically interested in business leaders who can bring expertise in areas of technology, policy/advocacy, finance, HR, transport, and commercial development.
We say that
‘tourism is everyone’s business ‘and are keen to ensure that our board reflects
this. We remain committed and keen to forge deeper collaboration between cross
sector industry bodies. The organisation also has a clear priority to
strengthen its membership and commercial activities in the coming years.
Remuneration & Time Commitment
The Board meets five times per year, with meetings held between 10-1.30pm primarily in Central Belt locations, but will occasionally meet for longer and further afield. In addition, there will be requests to attend other key engagements and events throughout the year such as the AGM in October and the STA Scottish Tourism Week Signature Conference in March each year. The position is unremunerated, but expenses can be paid on request.
As a director of the company, you will exercise corporate responsibilities for the business and help drive its development both financially and in strength of voice. It is an exciting time to join the STA with much change, challenge and opportunity ahead for the sector.
Experience and Skills
· Ability to contribute to the work of Scottish Tourism Alliance Board, ensuring the organisation remains relevant to all stakeholders and provides world class leadership on behalf of the industry. You must be ambitious in your aspirations for the industry and in your desire to drive innovative ways of working between the industry and public sector in Scotland.
· Ability to contribute effectively to strategic planning processes and to embrace the principles of corporate governance.
· Ability to challenge constructively and contribute to high quality decision-making and priority setting within a Board/team environment.
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to a range of stakeholders.
· Knowledge and understanding of the role & responsibilities of a Company Director
· A good understanding of the tourism and hospitality sector in Scotland
Appointments will be made on merit, but the organisation is committed to diversity and, in particular, strengthening gender equality around the Board table.
If you are interested in the position please send your CV and/or a short covering note stating your back ground and what you believe you can bring to further strengthen the STA board skill set to firstname.lastname@example.org by FRIDAY 16TH JUNE 2017
Please also contact Elaine if you would like any further details or would like to arrange an exploratory discussion with the CEO or Chair.
It is hoped to complete this process and have four new Directors formally appointed on to the STA Board at the 2017 AGM on October 3 rd